Claiming a Vanity URL on Facebook
You have probably seen people on Facebook talking about vanity URL’s, but what does it mean? Firstly, a URL stands for Uniform or Universal Resource Locator which basically means a website address in simple language!
A vanity URL is a unique username which you can choose for your Facebook fan page or personal profile. If you have not already chosen a vanity URL, you will see that when you use your Facebook page/profile the website address has lots of numbers on the extension for example www.facebook.com/pages/yourpagename/253443591393951
By claiming a vanity URL it will mean that your Facebook page name can be given in a more simple format; take a look mine to see what I mean: facebook.com/workformums This looks far more professional on business cards/email signatures etc, you can easily tell people how to find you on Facebook and it is also better for SEO. Please note you do need at least 25 likers before you can claim your vanity URL.
To claim your own vanity URL for your page, this is what you need to do:
- Login to Facebook and go to your page
- Click on the ‘Admin Panel’ button top right of the screen
- Click on the ‘Manage’ button arrow
- Select ‘Edit Page’
- Select ‘Basic Information’ from the tabs on the left
- You can now opt to choose a unique username for your page
- Use lowercase font and no punctuation marks
- Make sure it isn’t too long as you want it to fit on business cards etc. (ideally around 8 – 15 characters)
- Once you have selected a name you cannot change it once your page gets over 100 likes, so be certain you are happy with the page name and that it is spelt correctly
Don’t forget you can do this for your profile too and any other pages you have too!