Family Friendly Working – Top UK Employers
When you have a family, it becomes even more important to find an employer who recognises the importance of having a good work-life balance in addition to them supporting flexible working options.
Here are some things to research when you are looking for a new career:
- Employment Policies: look for flexible working arrangements, working from home options, childcare support (on site crèche facilities or help with organising childcare), equal opportunities, career break options, maternity pay and procedures, part-time and job sharing arrangements.
- Awards and Recognition: has the company won any awards for supporting families and/or women in the workplace.
- Word of Mouth: can you speak to anyone who has worked at the company in question. What is their experience of the company? Ask about work environment, policies and procedures and staff retention.
- Company Website: look at the websites ‘latest’ or ‘news’ sections where they may have shared any recent press releases.
- Interview: If you are called for an interview, have the confidence to ask about the company arrangements for flexible working.
Founded by Working Families in partnership with the Institute for Employment Studies, the Top Employers for Working Families Benchmark and Awards recognise organisations across the UK that do the most to support the work-life balance needs of all their employees.
To enter the awards, all organisations completed a robust benchmark survey which examined their work-life balance policies and practices. The results clearly demonstrate that employers are showing a growing acceptance that flexible working and work-life integration are vital to an organisation’s effectiveness and business success.
2013 Top Employers for Working Families Award Winners
- American Express careers.americanexpress.com
- Barclays barclays.com
- Deloitte mycareer.deloitte.com
- Ernst & Young www.ey.com
- KPMG LLP kpmgcareers.co.uk
- Royal Bank of Scotland uk.jobs.rbs.com
- Southdown Housing Association southdownhousing.org
- The London School of Economics and Political Science lse.ac.uk
- UBS ubs.com
- Wales & West Housing wwha.co.uk
Top Family Friendly SME’s (small-medium sized enterprises)
- Brand Learning Group Ltd
- iCrossing Ltd
- My Family Care
- Peridot Partners
- Solve HR Ltd
- Sound Environment