Flexible working is a way of working that suits an employee’s needs such as being able to work certain hours or work from home. Anyone can ask their employer to work flexibly.
If you are an employee who cares for someone (this can be your children or another adult) then you have the legal right to request flexible working. Many employers offer flexi-time whereby you can arrive at work between a certain time period, say between 7.30am and 9.00am and then leaving between 4.30pm and 6.00pm. Weekly contracted hours still have to be met and are usually recorded on an electronic time sheet or similar. There may also be working from home options available.
There are a number of UK companies that offer flexible working options for their employees. There are lots of benefits of flexible working both for the employee and the employer:
- Increased staff morale leading to better productivity
- Enhanced Work/Life Balance
- Reduced stress for employee – getting to work on time due to traffic, school run etc.
- Gives employers more credibility as a family friendly organisation
Usesful Links for Working Families/Flexible Working
- Top UK Employers for Working Families: www.topemployersforworkingfamilies.org.uk
- How to find Family-Friendly Employers: for a better work/ life balance: www.jobsite.co.uk/insider/family-friendly-employers
- Opportunity Now. Awards For Excellence 2013 Showcase – Winning for Women: http://opportunitynow.bitc.org.uk/showcase2013
- How to Request Flexible Working: www.gov.uk/flexible-working/making-a-statutory-application