Mums On Three: Caroline Kelly
Thank you to Caroline from Turtle Tots who shares her business tips with Work For Mums this week.
What are your three tips for starting a business?
- Be passionate about your business. Its no good involving yourself in something that you aren’t going to enjoy and be driven to succeed in.
- Know your market and competition and the area in which you will be working.
- Customer commitment and perception – you are your business, your efficiency, attitude and enthusiasm you want to rub off on others which is why they want to do business with you.
What are your three tips for running a business around a family?
- Pick your times, if you have a window of opportunity (kids asleep, at nursery, school, playdate) to make calls and answer emails which isn’t going to involve having to juggle children then take it.
- Be the best parent you can be when you have time with your children and focus on them and not the emails that may be entering your inbox.
- Make time for you – you aren’t going to be productive or succeed to the best of your ability if all you do is business and deal with the children 24/7. Whether its quality time with your spouse or on your own taking time out allows us to work with a clear head.
What are your three tips for business social networking?
- Find local groups pages which cover your area, post on their walls and ask people to ‘like’ your page.
- Swap leaflets with other businesses targetting the same market and ask that they share your leaflets with their clients and visa versa.
- Network with as many local people as you can. We all know the best form of advertising is ‘word of mouth’ & personal recommendations by clients, ask them to spread the word on their Facebook and Twitter pages too.