Mums On Three: Helen Lindop
Fab business tips from Helen Lindop from HelenLindop.com (lots of useful resources so do take a look), we should all be patting ourselves on the back regularly!
What are your three tips for starting a business?
- Offer a product or service that people really want. It’s much easier to sell when your customers are enthusiastic about buying your thing.
- Move fast. Run a pilot if you have to and test your idea. The only way you’ll know if it’s going to be a success is if you go out and try selling your thing.
- But have a plan too (even if you change it daily!) any plan is better than no plan at all.
What are your three tips for running a business around a family?
- Pick a business model that suits your life and commitments. E.g. some mums can work weekends and others can’t. Pick what fits you and your family.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Mums tend to have really high expectations of themselves but they have a lot on their plates too.Remember to pat yourself on the back regularly.
- At the end of the day it’s a business and it follows the same rules as any other business – you need planning, stock, good customer service, promotion, to do your books and to make a profit.
What are your three tips for business social networking?
- Be social, don’t just blast out sales messages. Interact, network, help people out, always be connecting with new people.
- Let your personality shine through. Be you and be real. Use your photo and not just your logo.
- Have a plan for what you want to achieve and who you want to reach.
Otherwise you risk just chatting and not growing your business.