Mums On Three: Karen Kennard
This weeks business tips are by working mum Karen Kennard of www.marketingtomothers.co.uk
What are your three tips for starting a business?
- Do a business plan – don’t just plan in your head, write it down
- Make sure you research your idea properly and don’t go on gut instinct
- Manage your expectations – a good business takes a long time to grow and nurture, it doesn’t happen overnight
What are your three tips for running a business around a family?
- Whenever possible don’t try and work while the children are around – it will just add to the stress
- Keep your work things in a separate room ideally so you can close the door either with you inside and everyone else outside, or you outside so you can switch off
- Remember why you wanted to run a business round your family and don’t let the business take over to their detriment
What are your three tips for business social networking?
- It is very easy to waste time on social networks, be targeted in your approach, lots of followers does not necessarily mean you are being successful. Monitor, review and measure your activity regularly
- Make your content useful and interesting, don’t post for the sake of it
- Don’t forget that social networking is not the only form of marketing and it is not free – time spent on social networking is still a cost as it might possibly be better spent elsewhere