Mums On Three: Laura Lambert
Thank you to Laura from Small and Gifted who has shared her business tips this week.
What are your three tips for starting a business?
- Start off small and develop from there
- Know your marketplace i.e. who you are marketing to, what their price point is, their main reason for buying
- Do not rely on one area of marketing i.e. Facebook, website, twitter – you have to really get yourself out there as much as possible! No marketing effort means no one will know you exist!
What are your three tips for running a business around a family?
- Be strict about your work/life balance – especially if you run your business from home
- Have a daily routine and stick to it where possible
- Family comes first, communicate with your customers – if a family crisis occurs (children being ill etc.) which means you are delayed, let your customers know – people are always more understanding if they are kept in the loop!
What are your three tips for business social networking?
- Facebook is an amazing tool but keep your business and personal pages separate and try not to let one seep onto the other. Your friends do not want to be bombarded with business talk/products and your customers don’t want to know too much about your personal life!!
- Don’t slag other companies off – not good for your reputation and the transient nature of social networking means the repercussions of anything you say can be far reaching
- If you are an avid Tweeter do not link your Twitter Page to your Facebook Page – people’s timelines become filled with your Tweets on Facebook, they get fed up and click the ‘unlike’ button. Linking Facebook to Twitter, however, is more socially acceptable!