Mums On Three: Cassie Hicks
Thanks to working mum Cassie Hicks from Women’s Way to Wealth who shares her tips with WFM this week.
What are your three tips for starting a business?
- Do something you love (rather than something you think will make money). You’re in it for the long haul and doing something you enjoy will keep you going through the rough patches.
- Find yourself a mentor. Someone who is successful in business and/or in your chosen market. Someone who has proven success in your field and can show you some shortcuts and help you avoid some of the common mistakes.
- Pick one thing and test, test, test. It doesn’t have to be perfect from day one, and accept that it will evolve over time.
What are your three tips for running a business around a family?
- Depending on the age of your kids, try to carve out some regular, uninterrupted work time (bribe your kids if you have to) as well as uninterrupted family time (switch your phone off!).
- Keep track of your priorities using free services such as Remember The Milk or Evernote so you can focus on the top 3 most important tasks every day.
- Accept your limitations and give yourself a break. If you spend a little time on your business on a regular basis it will grow, even if you’re juggling a toddler, new baby or older kids off school for the looooooong Summer holidays.
What are your three tips for business social networking?
- Focus on the 4 biggies – Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn. Make sure you at least have a profile and pepper it with your keywords. You want people to find you.
- Join groups, lists and circles in your target market and start to engage and contribute in the conversations. This will increase your understanding of your market and its needs, connect you with influencers and get traffic to your blog or site.
- Automate as much as possible using tools such as HootSuite or SocialOomph to manage your social networks in one platform. You can schedule a month’s worth of social media communications in 30 minutes using the scheduling tools.